Motorola MotoZ4 was running Android 10 and it worked fine, then an update was forced, qdfs30.130-42-1-2, with constant daily prompts to restart stating that it would restart on its own if I did not do so voluntarily:
After this, when activating the App Switcher (box on bottom right),this message pops up if trying to swipe through certain apps (tested: System, App Settings, Phone) but does not crash with other apps that must be on the right of the non-crash inducing apps (tested: Whatsapp, Google News). This also happens if one of the crash inducing apps is to the immediate left of one of the non crash inducing apps.
Moto App Launcher keeps stopping (i) App info x Close app
The screen then either goes to the home screen with just wallpaper, and the Moto App Launcher (MAL) restarts, or it goes to the last app opened.
Because of this behavior, it is impossible to close the aforementioned sytem-type apps that are already opened, but I can see that they are there, since if I don't swipe left far enough, the switcher shows me their right edge.
I've seen or tried these suggestions:
- Use other launchers, disable MAL (tried Microsoft's and Nova's) - behavior persists
- Delete MAL Cache & Data from settings - behavior persists
- Restart - behavior persists
- Start in Safe Mode (have not tried - would rather avoid any serious tampering)
- Wipe Cache Partition (have not tried - I tried this on an older phone once, and it took a while, did not solve anything, and it seems risky)
- Factory Reset Phone (have not tried, would cost countless hours of reinstalling apps and restoring, and would prefer to avoid this)
Before taking steps that are either extremely time consuming or considered risky, such as 4-6 mentioned above, I'd like to ask if there is any other way to resolve this.
Currently, to switch apps, I have to tap the icon on the home screen or be extremely conscientious not to swipe too far left (to avoid the open apps that may be causing the MAL to crash).